Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Murican Dream

I have a lot to be thankful for, too much in fact to put into words here. Besides, that isn't any fun to read about anyway, so how about just a little cynicism?

Trolling around the world of internet news I checked into one of my hometown newspapers, the one I grew up reading every day--the Los Angeles Times. Digging deeper into the site I went to the editorial page where I found Jonah Goldberg. Which got me to thinking about success and how it is achieved.

If you aspire to be President you don't have to be smart. You don't even have to work hard to achieve anything in life. Doesn't even matter if you are a colossal horse's ass and under-achiever. As long as you hire people that will do any manner of dirty work and you can socio-pathologically lie, you can be the leader of the free world. And it helps to have really wealthy parents.

And all you gotta do to get a column in a major newspaper is identify yourself as a Republican and write nonsense in a convincing way, have not much of a conscience, and good family connections, maybe a little money.

Oh alright. A short list of things I am thankful for:

Healthy kids, parents, siblings. My friends (the ones that read this know who you are). Hypocrites that remind me who my real friends are (because if you don't know who they are by the time you hit 40 it is abolut time to do so). I am thankful for any active political opposition in this country and people that stand-up to power. I am thankful for every person that gives us this platform and joins the fray. It makes what little time I am able to spend here so worthwhile.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: