Thursday, August 23, 2007

Since he brought it up

Bush and his Vietnam lessons, let us recall what he said he had learned in 1990:

A throwback, good-time frat brother, young Bush had little use for the antiwar movement. On the other hand, he didn't want to go to Vietnam. Draft deferments for graduate school were ending that spring of 1968. The Texas Air National Guard offered another way. "I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada," Bush explained to The Dallas Morning News back in 1990. "So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes."


So every time he brings up disasters "we" actually brought about in places like Cambodia, remember Bush's brave effort to be willing to strafe "the Boat People" if they'd wandered into the Gulf of Mexico. A task he undertook rather than even making an ACTUAL commitment to standing for something.



Fez tassle wave to Jo Fish for reminding me of the quote.

No comments: