Friday, August 22, 2008

Yuma

I remember when McBush made his famous "There are jobs Americans won't do" speech in front of the AFL-CIO Building and Construction Trades meeting back in April 2006. It made me mad as hell and it must have made the people in the audience mad, too, because they booed his wrinkled old ass. Full disclosure: I sit on my butt in front of a computer in air conditioned office all day, but I don't know one person -- blue collar, white collar, no collar, including me -- who wouldn't pick lettuce for $50/hour -- hell, for a lot less than $50/hour -- if that's what stood between them and, say, eating. Would it be easy? No way. Would I like it? Doubtful. Would I do it? You bet I would -- and so would you.

But would McCain?

No. He wouldn't. And there's the rub. This guy has been living large on someone else's dime for almost thirty years -- and he probably hates himself (and the source of his largesse) for it. He's been pampered for so long that he can't imagine working that way, and so he projects that lack of imagination and contempt for himself onto you and I.

I wish those AFL-CIO people in the audience had hurled rotten lettuce at him when he insulted them.

I'm trying to think how McCain is going to get out of this one. Maybe he'll try to tie it together with the $273,000 he paid household help last year. Maybe he'll say, "Well, I can't get anyone to serve me cocktails and canapes or trim the agave for less than $50/hour, so why would anyone pick lettuce for $50/hour?" Whatever. If you think this guy won't ship a few more thousand American jobs offshore because he thinks we won't do them, you are sadly mistaken, my friend. What an asshole.

No comments: