Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Random Encounters with The Jewish McLovin

About an hour ago, I was walking down 42nd Street on my way to the train, when a woman in front of me dropped a somewhat official looking piece of paper. She didn't know she'd dropped it, though, so I picked it up and called, "Miss! Miss!" She turned around, I gave her the paper, she thanked me, and took off. Meanwhile, this twenty-something kid wearing glasses, a backpack, and a yarmulke sidles up to me...

HIM: "Hey! Good job!"
ME: "Um, thanks!"
HIM: "Jewish people call what you did a 'mitzvah'".
ME: "Sure, I'm familiar with the term."
HIM: "That's your mitzvah for the day!"
ME: "Thanks". (Didn't really know what else to say.)
HIM: "People think I look like McLovin. Do you know McLovin"?
ME: "Sure".
HIM: "Check it! Check it! Yeah! Fake ID! Fake ID!" (Imitates the McLovin thing you see at about 2:10 here in same high pitched voice while doing the same little dance.)
ME: (speechless)
HIM: "Take it easy! Keep up with the mitzvahs!" (Kid smiles and descends into the IND station at Sixth Avenue.)

No comments: