Monday, May 25, 2009

I am Forty-Two Pages into THE POWER BROKER

I've finally started reading Robert Caro's The Power Broker, a hardbound edition of which has been sitting on my shelf since about 1993. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it, but no way, no how, no where am I carting a five-pound, 1,200+ page hardcover book on the subway (and, no, Jeff Bezos, I'm not interested in your Kindle). So it's going to take a while to finish this one. My goal is to be done by Independence Day. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I just finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog, which was the best novel I've read in a long, long while, although I really would have to classify it as a chick book (although definitely not crappy Nanny Diaries-Devil-Wears-Prada type "Chick Lit").

And in other lit-tra-chure news, is there really a controversy at Oxford over twenty-seven year-old sexual harassment allegations at an unrelated institution on another continent? Christ, the only politics more annoying than corporate politics are academic politics. Somewhere, Phillip Roth is smiling.

No comments: